Mediterranean – Trans-Atlantic Sailing Adventure, Fall 2022
Update: This adventure was successfully completed on December 10, 2022 when we arrive in St. Vincent after a 23 day passage from Madeira. We expect to offer a similar opportunity in 2023: stay tuned!
Join us for a sailing adventure of a lifetime, on a passage from Croatia in the Mediterranean to St. Vincent in the southern Caribbean. Three legs are available:
- Split Croatia to Mallorca, Spain via Sicily (Oct 20-31, 2022)
- Mallorca to Madeira via Gibraltar (Nov 2-12, 2022)
- Madeira to Blue Lagoon, St. Vincent (Nov 15-Dec 6-10, 2022)
Space is limited! ASA and Sail Canada Advanced and Offshore certifications are available on all legs.
Come and experience why the Mediterranean has been the source of innovation in sailing for thousands of years, from the early Phoenicians, to the Greeks and Romans, to explorers like Vasco de Gama, Magellan, and Columbus, to the naval wars of the Napoleonic era, and to the ocean racing of the present day.
Then experience the iconic thrill of a tradewind crossing of the Atlantic in a Bali 4.1 catamaran.
Update: Once we are underway, you can track our progress here: https://forecast.predictwind.com/tracking/display/SV_InterludeX
Barefoot Offshore Sailing School (BOSS) is pleased to announce that Sana, a 2019 Bali 4.1 cruising catamaran, will be sailing through the Mediterranean and across the Atlantic in October – December 2022 to join the Barefoot fleet in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
On Sana, three legs are available:
Leg 1: Split, Croatia to Mallorca, in the Baleric Islands of Spain, via Sicily. Oct 20-Oct 31.
Leg 2: Mallorca to Madeira, via Gibraltar. Nov 2-Nov 12.
Leg 3: Madeira to St. Vincent, via the Canary Islands. Nov 15 – Dec 7-10
Certifications available on all three legs include:
- ASA 106 / Sail Canada Advanced Cruising
- ASA 108 / Sail Canada Offshore Cruising
- ASA 114 / Sail Canada Catamaran Endorsement
- ASA 105, 107, 117 exams if required as prerequisites
For details on relevant standards, see:
- ASA standards: https://asa.com/certifications/
- Sail Canada standards: https://www.sailing.ca/keelboat-cruising/
Note that given the extensive certification requirements Advanced and Offshore cannot be combined on the same leg. ASA 114 / SC Catamaran Endorsement can be combined with Advanced or Offshore.
Maximum capacity on each leg is 6 participants.
Skipper / Instructor
This sailing adventure will be led by Rob McLean, who is BOSS Lead Instructor and Coordinator. Rob is uniquely qualified as the only person certified as an Offshore Instructor by both ASA and Sail Canada. Rob has accumulated more than 20,000 of cruising miles since the early 80s on the Great Lakes, Pacific, Atlantic, and in the Caribbean, and in 2021 completed a 7,000 mile passage from Canada to St. Vincent on his own 62′ schooner, Interlude. As an Instructor Evaluator he leads instructor development clinics for both Sail Canada and ASA. His full sailing resume is here: http://robmclean.ca/sailingresume.html . His professional background outside of sailing is summarized here: http://robmclean.ca/Resume.shtml
The Base Participation Fee (USD) for each leg or combination of legs is as follows:
- Leg 1: $4,495
- Leg 2: $4,495
- Leg 3: $5,995
- Legs 1 and 2: $5,995
- Legs 2 and 3: $7,995
- Legs 1, 2, and 3: $9,995
The Base Participation Fee includes:
- Fully-equipped 4 cabin, 4 head catamaran with Skipper / Instructor
- Shared accommodation. While underway on a continuous passage, all participants will be standing watches, so there will be a certain amount of hot-bunking
- Full provisioning while underway
- Fuel, ice, tank water
- Marina fees
- If participating in more than one leg, accommodation on the vessel while in port between legs
The Base Participation Fee does not include:
- Air fare and ground transfers
- Certification fees for participants seeking certification: see details here: https://barefootoffshore.com/bosssailing_courses/certification-fees/
- ASA membership (must be current to process certifications)
- Personal snacks
- Alcoholic beverages (not to be consumed while underway)
- Meals while in port between legs
- Instructor gratuity at your discretion
Anyone interested in participating should contact Rob McLean at email@example.com, including a brief summary of your sailing certifications and experience, and indicating which leg or legs you are interested in. Rob is also available to respond to questions about the adventure.
- To start the registration process, if you haven’t already sailed with Rob, he will arrange a Skype or Zoom interview focused on ensuring that this adventure is a good match for your skills and experience, and answering your questions
- If based on this interview you wish to proceed with a registration, Rob will send you an invitation that will include details on: requirements related to desired certifications, guidance on self-study for coastal and/or celestial navigation, safety and personal gear requirements and recommendations, and crew agreement terms and conditions.
- If having reviewed all these documents you are ready to proceed, BOSS will send you an invoice. To hold your reservation, BOSS requires a 50% deposit within 7 days, with the balance payable 45 days prior to the start of the relevant leg.
- Once your deposit is received, Rob will be in touch to provide guidance on preparing for the adventure. In due course we will need details on your travel arrangements, medical and emergency contact information, and any special dietary requirements. Additional information that will be shared in the lead-up to the passage includes: details on Sana and the safety equipment that will be on board for the passage, a detailed passage plan, and other relevant information.