Mediterranean – Trans-Atlantic Sailing Adventure, Fall 2023
Join us for a sailing adventure of a lifetime, on a remarkable journey from the stunning Split region in Croatia to the vibrant St. Vincent in the southern Caribbean. Three incredible legs are available, each offering its own unique blend of beauty and excitement:
- Croatia to Mallorca, Spain via Italy, Sardinia and Corsica (Oct 19-30, 2023)
- Mallorca to Tenerife in the Canaries via Cartagena and Gibraltar (Nov 2-13, 2023)
- Tenerife to Blue Lagoon, St. Vincent (Nov 16 – Dec 4-11, 2023)
BOSS is offering ASA 106 and 108, and Sail Canada Advanced and Offshore certifications on all legs. Space is limited, so act now to secure your spot in their extraordinary expedition!
Come and discover why the Mediterranean has been the cradle of sailing innovation for millenia. From the ancient Phoenicians, Greeks and Romans, to renowned explorers like Vasco de Gama, Magellan, and Columbus, the Mediterranean has shaped the course of maritime history. Immerse yourself in this rich legacy as you explore the same waters that witnessed epic naval wars and continue to host thrilling ocean races to this day
Then experience the iconic thrill of a tradewind crossing of the Atlantic. Feel the power of the wind propelling your vessel as you navigate by the stars (and GPS!) to St. Vincent, traversing the Atlantic on a route that has captivated sailors for centuries.
Skipper / Instructor
This sailing adventure will be led by Rob McLean, who is the Lead Instructor for BOSS. Rob is uniquely qualified as he holds the distinction of being the only person certified as an Offshore Instructor by both ASA and Sail Canada. Since the early 1980s, Rob has accumulated more than 35,000 of cruising miles, including 15,000+ miles offshore, on the Great Lakes, Pacific, Atlantic, the Med, and in the Caribbean.
In 2021, he completed a 7,000 mile passage from Canada to St. Vincent on his own 62′ schooner, Interlude. In 2022 he led a 5,400 mile passage from Croatia to SVG in the Caribbean, and in spring 2023 sailed Interlude 2,000 miles from SVG to Halifax in Canada via Bermuda. As an Instructor Evaluator / ASA Master Instructor he leads instructor development clinics for both Sail Canada and ASA. His full sailing resume is here: http://robmclean.ca/sailingresume.html . His professional background outside of sailing is summarized here: http://robmclean.ca/Resume.shtml
Expressions of Interest
If interested please contact Rob McLean at email@example.com, including a brief summary of your sailing certifications and experience, and indicating which leg or legs you are interested in. We will then schedule an interview to confirm that this adventure is right for you.
On ULYSSES, three legs are available.
Leg 1: Split region to Mallorca, in the Baleric Islands of Spain, via Corsica, Marseilles and Barcelona. Oct 19-Oct 30, 2023
Leg 2: Mallorca to Tenerife, via Cartagena and Gibraltar. Nov 2-Nov 13, 2022
Leg 3: Madeira to St. Vincent, via the Canary Islands. Nov 16 – Dec 5-11, 2023
Certifications available on all three legs include:
- ASA 106 / Sail Canada Advanced Cruising
- ASA 108 / Sail Canada Offshore Cruising
- ASA 114 / Sail Canada Catamaran Endorsement
- ASA 105, 107, 117 exams, or Sail Canada navigation exams if required as prerequisites
For details on relevant standards, see:
- ASA standards: https://asa.com/certifications/
- Sail Canada standards: https://www.sailing.ca/keelboat-cruising/
Note that given the extensive certification requirements Advanced and Offshore cannot be combined on the same leg. ASA 114 / SC Catamaran Endorsement can be combined with Advanced or Offshore.
Maximum capacity on each leg is 6 participants, plus the skipper/instructor.
The Base Participation Fee (USD) for each leg or combination of legs is as follows:
- Leg 1: $4,495
- Leg 2: $4,495
- Leg 3: $5,995
- Legs 1 and 2: $5,995
- Legs 2 and 3: $7,995
- Legs 1, 2, and 3: $9,995
The Base Participation Fee includes:
- Fully-equipped 4 cabin catamaran with Skipper / Instructor
- Shared accommodation. While underway on a continuous passage, all participants will be standing watches, so there may be hot-bunking*
- Full provisioning while underway
- Fuel, ice, water
- Marina fees
- If participating in more than one leg, accommodation on the vessel while in port between legs
The Base Participation Fee does not include:
- Air fare and ground transfers
- Immigration or departure fees assessed by government authorities
- Certification fees for participants seeking certification: see details here: https://barefootoffshore.com/bosssailing_courses/certification-fees/
- ASA membership
- Personal snacks
- Alcoholic beverages (not to be consumed while underway)
- Meals while in port between legs
- Instructor gratuity at your discretion
* Hot-bunking means that you may not have exclusive use of a cabin. Everyone will have their own pillows and bed linens, and people are not expected to share a bed with someone else at the same time, but someone coming off watch may be expected to sleep in a cabin just vacated by someone coming on watch.
Please note that details below are subject to change based on the impact of weather or other events on the schedule, and availability of marina space in the chosen destinations.